SKIN CARE TIPS FOR WEARING A MASK IN THE HEAT
The summer is in full swing and it’s probably going to be super hot for the next couple of months. This means that for those of us wearing masks, our skin needs some extra TLC to help avoid redness, irritation, and breakouts.
Here are our top tips to help you be as comfortable as possible wearing a mask for these hot months.
- Wash your hands thoroughly before putting on your clean mask.
- If you’re going with a re-usable mask, opt for washing it with fragrance-free detergent and skip the fabric softener. This will help reduce chances of coming into contact with irritants. Also, make sure to toss your mask in the laundry after each use.
- Wash your face twice a day with a gentle cleanser.
- Moisturize your skin immediately after washing to keep the skin hydrated and to improve the barrier function of the skin. We recommend rubbing in your moisturizer while your skin is slightly damp to help seal in extra moisture. Don’t forget to keep using SPF during the day.
- Be gentle to your skin and scale back the exfoliating, especially on the lower half of your face. Try not to use any aggressive physical scrubs or exfoliators with granules. This can further damage the skin surface if your skin is dry or irritated as a result of wearing a mask.
- Try using a healing balm with petrolatum (like petrolatum jelly) overnight on any broken or flaking skin. Use this as the last step of your night time skin care to seal in your moisturizers and serums.
- Experiment going makeup-free on days you need to wear a mask. Wearing heavy makeup and foundation under a mask – especially in the summer heat – can lead to irritation, clogged pores, and acne.
- Remember that if you are exercising or walking alone outside (maintaining social distance), you can take the mask off. We recommend keeping a mask on your person (in your pocket) in case your trail or outdoor area does end up with more people than you anticipated.
We highly recommend our hydrating and soothing facial treatments during this time to minimize the effects on your skin of wearing a mask. Contact email@example.com or (616) 516-6230 to learn about our facial & skin services menu.
Schedule your FREE skin assessment by mentioning this blog/Instagram post when you call/text or email us!
Additionally, during the months of July – September, for FIRST RESPONDERS & their spouses, WELLTOPIX is offering one FREE jelly facial ($80 value) with the purchase of any WELLTOPIX skin care product. We value you and know you deserve to be pampered! Our jelly facial will be catered to soothing your skin. During your time at WELLTOPIX, we will also help you develop an at-home skin care routine to combat effects of wearing a mask for long hours.